The foundation stone of the current St Philip’s church was laid on 1st May 1848. The current building was consecrated in 1856. St Philips is tucked underneath Sydney’s skyscrapers in the CBD near the historic Rocks area. It can be seen from the main three lane ramp up to the Sydney Harbour Bridge at 70km an hour. It can be viewed at a pleasant 10km/hr during peak traffic times. Down on the ground the sandstone church looks very impressive set among trees and towers.
The church’s architect was Edmund Blacket, and it was the last church to be designed by him in the classic English Gothic Perpendicular style. For more information: http://www.yorkstreetanglican.com/#/our-story/our-history